Meditating

I've heard from a number of traders that meditate before they start trading. Some listen to classical music, others chant a mantra, whatever works for them.

Yesterday I read in Innerworth that some people juggle. Apparently that requires so much concentration that you cannot think of anything else and so acts as a type of meditation by clearing your mind of all other thoughts and allows you to relax.

There are other traders who would never even think about meditating, which is also cool. What works for one does not necessarily work for the other.

What do you have to risk from trying? Nothing, from what I can work out. I, personally, have not tried to combine any form of meditating with trading. I am, however, thinking about doing so. I like the sound of juggling but don't have 3 appropriate objects yet. I will be working on this theme and report back when I have more information.

If you have had an experience of combining meditating with trading (or anything) and have had a negative or positive experience from doing so then let us know...
Further audio meditation options:

The first one is Bon Scott in a hippy band "Fraternity" circa 1970 singing "Seasons Change" ... and yes, he's the one that looks like a giant bearded leprechaun singing very differently than a few years later (and looking different) from the next vid where he's belting out "Highway to Hell" on the AC/DC 1979 album.

Also, near the end of the "Fraternity" tune, he's got some 4-foot contraption with a mouthpiece that could be either some strange instrument ... or more likely a giant bong. Dunno!

Bon Scott and Fraternity: (make sure to turn up the volume button on the screen to hear it)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=423_1178112717

And now, the same dude, sans beard, and with some serious/fun attitude ... what a difference a few years can make, right? ... and both can be MEDITATION ... your choice ... enjoy.

MM

ps. The song "Highway to Hell," was written about their experience of touring as a band on the road, day in and day out, that wore them out ... so wrote a song about it ... aptly named.
Can't help myself here, but got a quick related story. My girlfriend's brother-in-law has a "green" energy company he's starting up after he sold his last venture. And, last week, he had Depak Chopra over to his home for dinner ... Depak's gonna be a bidness partner in it. Small weird world we monkey's all inhabit!
BTW...my apologies for an unintended veering off of the topic. Guilty of "thread jacking" in the first degree.
I meditate.

So, that's at least one trader you know definitely fits your bill..!
These traders do meditate for their mind to relax for the decisions that they will going to make. Maybe through with it, they could find peace in mind and to recharge their body for the next projects that they will going to enter.

that waw very funny i like it
I definitely dont meditate... instead I read the finance sections of the Wall Street Journal and Financial Times before trading... sometimes some very good financial information is included there that I would not have otherwise known. Bloomberg online is very good too.
I don't mediate but i concentrate thoroughly while trading. always try to get as much information as i could before trading
Same, I focus to keep on learning, chill, and trade
I began practicing meditation after I went down a dark hole and initially I found no benefits. I tried following all the rules and suggestions but I felt as if meditating simply wasn't for me. My life mentor (Uncle) recommended that I meditate everyday despite the fact I didn't feel its benefits and if I didn't feel anything after a month to quit and so I did. After a month I didn't sense any considerable difference and decided to quit. The days after I quit were difficult, I felt my mood was off, my anxiety levels went up, I had trouble sleeping. So I started meditating again and felt amazing. It is hard to gauge the impact meditation has because it is so subtle and gradual. Meditation can seem fictitious but it works if you stay consistent.
I tend to listen to white noise type music when trading so perhaps I am inadvertently meditating while trading. I like to listen to nature sounds like lapping water, rain, that sort of thing!