Daily Notes 242

This is the link to the Daily Notes page:
http://www.mypivots.com/DailyNotes/dailynotes.aspx

When they have been updated a reply will be posted to this topic.

Other items of interest may also be posted in the reply to this topic at the same time such as the trading results from live or strategy trading from the previous session.

If you subscribe (free) to this topic then you will receive an email each time a reply is posted here. That way you will know when the Daily Notes have been updated and are ready to read.

To subscribe to this topic:
1. Join this forum (if you are not already a member) by registering (it's free).
2. Now login to the forum.
3. Now subscribe to this topic by clicking the Subscribe to this topic link just below this message.

(If there is no subscribe link below this message then it is because you aren't logged in to the forum. Remember to Register, Confirm you registration by clicking on the link in the email, Login, and then subscribe to the forum.)

Do you have an RSS Reader?

If so, then you don't have to log on to this forum to read the posts. Just hook this forum into your RSS Reader and see anything new that has been posted in your Reader.
More details here: RSS Feed
Hi Guy - If the close from the previous day is higher than today's high I would use the value which is greater, or, if the close from the previous day is less than today's low I would use the lesser value.

For example, let's use the current 10 day ATR, and look within that window.

Back on 5/27 the H/L/C for the ES was 1200.50/1196/1200.25. A range of 4.5 points.

The following day on 5/31 (3 days later due to a holiday), the H/L/C was 1199/1191.50/1192.25. A range of 7.5 points. However, the true range is 8.75 points because the close on 5/27 was greater than the high on the following day, and this is included in the calculation.

For the last 10 days there's only a difference of .125 because that was the only gap during that period (1.25 divided by 10 days = .125). Today on 6/11 the avg range is 9.60 while the avg true range is 9.725.

Hope this helps...

Hi Tool,
Yes that makes perfect sense. How do you then use those averages? I know that some people look at the 10, 20, 40 day average ranges to gauge if the market's range is contracting or expanding and adjust their strategies (e.g. wider stops in expanding ranges) accordingly. Are there any tips that you can share with us? (I obviously understand if there is stuff that you can't share - all of us have a few trading secrets that we don't want public.)
Daily Notes have been updated.

Transcript from trading room yesterday (no trades)

June’s single print strategy (1 losing trade)
(cumulative monthly loss of $1,020)
I would like to keep the service. Do not delete the service. Thank you.
quote:
Originally posted by Gaye

I would like to keep the service. Do not delete the service. Thank you.

The service will continue Gaye - I have no plans to stop it. I hope that it adds to your success and profits as a trader.

Guy

Transcript from trading room yesterday (no trades)

June’s single print strategy (1 losing trade)
(cumulative monthly loss of $1,230)

Daily Notes support topic - describes ways to use the web to your advantage and a backup page if you think Daily Notes hasn't been updated.

Transcript from trading room yesterday (0.8 ER2 points in 4 trades)

June’s single print strategy (1 winning trade $530)
(cumulative monthly loss of $700)

NEW PIVOT POINTS PAGE - Shows alternate numbers for calculating the daily pivots.

Transcript from previous trading session's trading room (0.1 ER2 points in 2 trades)

June’s single print strategy (no trades)
(cumulative monthly loss of $700)
Hey omni

The ER2 and YM don't have gap play figures because they do not have RTH sessions. Of course one could create RTH sessions for them by just looking at the 09:30 to 16:15/17:00 timeframe but the data that I use for those contracts is the all session data.

This has both advantages and disadvantages. The advatages are that you can compare all the averages and summary data between 2 pairs of index futures contracts that are RTH and all sessions. i.e. the NQ and ES are RTH and the YM and ER2 are all sessions. This often gives interesting comparisons at-a-glance as the all session pattern may have been very different to the RTH pattern and this can be quickly picked up in the summary figures, for example the Trend %.

Of course the disadvantage is that you cannot see a gap play figure for the YM and ER2 with this sort of data.