Quotes 2

The louder he talked of his honour, the faster we counted our spoons. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

In white collar situations, they don't think of themselves as thoroughgoing criminals, so when they get caught there's a level of guilt involved. Suddenly there is a conflict between what they appear to families, friends, co-workers, and what they are doing in the secret part of their life. It tends to move them towards confessing, putting it all behind them. They haven't acquired the ethics of organised crime which is that you never help the government, constantly trying to frustrate it. - Rudolph Giuliani

The thing I would most like to see invented is a way of teaching children and grown-ups the difference between right and wrong. - Robert Maxwell

Stock prices have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau. - Irving Fisher a few weeks before the 1929 crash

Invest in silver and you can never go wrong. - Nelson Bunker Hunt who lost billions after his attempt to corner the silver market went wrong

You are as safe with me as you would be in the Bank of England. - Robert Maxwell

It would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic. - Lou Grade on the failure of his film 'Raise the Titanic'

You can't run a Church on Hail Marys. - Archbishop Marcinkus

There's always a fear in working class people that all the success and adulation has just been a dream and that you'll wake up tomorrow morning back where you started. - Adam Faith

Achievement: the death of endeavour and the birth of disgust. - Ambrose Pierce

A man is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits. - Richard Nixon

This tastes like a fart. - Ross Johnson on the tobacco-less cigarette created by his company

When we got into office the thing that surprised me most was to find that things were just as bad as we'd been saying they were. - John F. Kennedy

The road to inflation is paved with good intentions. - William Guttmann

Inflation might be called prosperity with high blood pressure. - Arnold Glasgow

Inflation is a form of taxation that can be imposed with legislation. - Milton Friedman

Inflation isn't an Act of God. High inflation is a man-made disaster, like Southern beer and nylon shirts. - Ronald Long

Lenin was right. There is no subtler, no surer means of overturning the existing basis of society than to debauch the currency. - John Maynard Keynes

I could have made things more difficult but I didn't because I felt a certain responsibility not to destroy the European Monetary System. - George Soros

I am not an expert on the economy. - Norman Lamont

In the world of investment management, it is far better to fail very badly in a conventional way and lose a great deal of money for your client than to lose a little in an unconventional fashion. - Marc Faber

Too many people are apt to redeem their profits too quickly. In a huge bull market they wind up with piddling profits, only to watch their former holdings soar. That usually prompts them into making mistakes later when, believing that the market owes them some money, they buy at the wrong time at much higher levels. - Martin Zweig

Nobody who has ever been on a falling elevator and survived ever approaches such a conveyance without a fundamentally reduced degree of confidence. - Robert Reno after the 1987 crash

If you warn 100 men of possible forthcoming bad news, 80 will immediately dislike you. And if you are so unfortunate to be right, the other 20 will as well. - Anthony Gaubis

Wall Street professionals know that acting on 'inside tips' will break a man more quickly than famine, pestilence, crop failure, political readjustments or what may be called normal accidents. - Edwin Lefevre

A bear market is a financial cancer that spreads. Intermediate rallies (occasionally very strong ones) keep the hopes of investors alive. Furthermore, by continuously publishing bullish reports, brokers and economists, like good nurses, keep the flame of hope from burning out. But after 18 to 36 months of continued losses, total capitulation usually sets in and a major low occurs. - Marc Faber

The crowd always loses because the crowd is always wrong. It is wrong because it behaves normally. - Fred Kelly

There are two times in a man's life when he should not speculate: when he can't afford it and when he can. - Mark Twain

The elements of good trading are cutting losses, cutting losses and cutting losses. - Ed Seykota

Short the industry which the majority of Harvard Business School want to join. - Marc Faber