Quotes 9

Sex is one of the most wholesome, beautiful and natural experiences that money can buy. - Steve Martin

A pin lies in wait for every bubble and when the two eventually meet, a new wave of investors learns some very old lessons. - Warren Buffett

Like bidets, you're not quite sure what they're for, but they add a touch of class. - Michael Grade on the role of non-executive directors

Innovation! One canot be forever innovating. I want to create classics! - Coco Chanel

It's an old joke, but worth retelling that 'emeritus' is a Latin word. E means he's out and meritus means he deserves it. - Neil Bennett on Sir Iain Vallance's new chairman emeritus title at BT

Negotiation is the art of letting the other side have your way. - Daniel Vare

As times get harder, words grow more weaselly. Euphemisms boom in a recession, even if nothing else does. - Alison Eadie

If you want to be a success in the world, promise everything and deliver nothing. - Napoleon Bonaparte

Without economy none can be rich and with it few will be poor. - Samuel Johnson

The successful man is one who makes more than his wife can spend. And the successful woman is one who can find such a man. - Bienvenida Buck

There are three kinds of economists. Those that can add, and those that can't. - Hamish McRae

All paid employments absorb and degrade the mind. - Aristotle

I made my money by selling too soon. - Bernard Baruch

For me, the richness is in the learning. - Allan Leighton remarking on the continuing fall in value of his shareholdings in lastminute.com

Investors may be quite willing to take the risk of being wrong in the company of others, while being much more reluctant to take the risk of being right alone. - John Maynard Keynes

Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent. - John Maynard Keynes

I think a lot of people initially thought that the 'e' in e-business was more important than the business. - Michael Dell

Each time, it's a nice little company, nice people, modestly successful. Then you bring in the VC money - it's like putting jet engines on a VW. They expect that, within a year and a half, they will get back ten times their money . . . It runs up against the laws of physics. It's like putting nine women together and trying to make a baby in one month. - Dennis Faust

I don't think it's terribly interesting how much money I give to charity because I have not solved any diseases yet. Until you do, what difference does it make? - Larry Ellison

One reason why bubbles swell up and go pop is that investment managers all puff and blow at the same time. - Christopher Fildes

We are not a stock that you can sleep well with at night. We are a volatile stock . . . For a short-term investor, or for a small investor, I wouldn't invest in internet stocks. - Jeff Bezos

A fully fledged economic downturn will cause nastier things to come out of the woodwork. The old market saying is: 'Recessions uncover what auditors do not.' - Philip Coggan

Share prices follow the theorem: hope divided by fear minus greed. - Dominic Lawson

We have embraced the 21st century by entering such cutting-edge industries as brick, carpet, insulation and paint. Try to control your excitement. - Warren Buffett

The art of taxation consists in plucking the goose to obtain the largest amount of feathers with the least amount of hissing. - Jean-Baptiste Colbert

It is inconceivable that anyone will divulge a truly effective get-rich scheme for the price of a book . . . There is ample opportunity to use wealth in this world, and neither I nor my friends, nor anyone else I have ever met, has so much of it that they are interested in putting themselves at a disadvantage by sharing their secrets. - Victor Niederhoffer

A good bet is that all systems will stop working when you use them. - Victor Niederhoffer

If a man is both wise and lucky, he will not make the same mistake twice. But he will make any one of ten thousand brothers or cousins of the original. The mistake family is so large that there is always one of them around when you want to see what you can do in the fool-play line. - Edwin Lefevre

When you win, you eat better, you sleep better, your beer tastes better, and your wife looks like Gina Lollobrigida. - Johnny Pesky

Investors are slow to learn that security analysts do not always mean what they say. - Hersh Shefrin