Advanced Trading Workshop (ATW)

Anyone know anything, good or bad, about this outfit?

http://www.advancedtradingworkshop.com/
LOL... you do have a way with words, MM. Keep in mind, re: me being the only one who will have been successful, is boards are skewed towards the unsatisfied. I just finished shopping for appliances, and even the best reviewed ones, when I went on message boards, I'd find person and person having problems with it. Really frustrating trying to decide given that! But people without problems aren't as likely to be out on message boards posting. I first came here in looking for feedback prior to signing up.

So, maybe I'm (Jerry's) just lucky, but Friday he had a winning trade on the Euro, good for $450+ per contract, depending on how one managed it. Long from 1.3298, with Profit target 1 of 1.3335, or if one prefers, trail a stop from there. He called for those still holding to exit at 1.33900, at completion of W5.

Again, most of the complaints are with Andy, though I did catch a couple who said either that Jerry didn't trade, or his mechanical system was getting unrealistic fills. I'm not sure what system taht person was referencing; again, I'm in the swing room, and we're not trading a mechanical system. It's true that his systems use limit fills, but he acknowledges that. In instructing about creating a system, in order to address what he referred to as extreme ticks and the potential for false fills, to take whatever results one gets and reduce the profits by 1/2, and then also double to losses! If you still have success numbers you can live with, then you may have a system to try out. He's very conservative. The daytrading system he runs isn't intended to be traded mechanically, but rather is there for those in the room to get ideas for entries. But that's in the daytrading room. I'm using him for swings, and so far, so good. I believe he does have systems that are actually trading, for instance his gap system. But it's a several point trade, once a day at most, so the fill aspect wouldn't affect it much, if at all. Again, maybe he's been lucky. But I still go back to a point - and my main point - that even many of his critics concurred on, which was that he was an excellent analyst. And to that end, I'm getting a good education, if nothing else.
I'm curious: did you even take the time to watch any of the videos he has available for free? If so, what was your take? And if not, why not? I know, because every vendor is a liar and can't trade, or even teach you anything. Of course... It's a given. After all, all law school professors clearly can't actually practice law successfully, or they would be. And med school instructors are only doing it because they were terrible doctors. And even in our field, Alan Andrews apparently never successfully traded with median lines, since he decided to teach (become a "vendor") in his later years. Can ya believe that people actually listen to him! And Raschke obviously fabricated her trading results, or her broker did, for the Market Wizards book, since she's a vendor, and by definition is hence incapable of trading, or even teaching, successfully.
But whatever... I just intended to update the trade aspect, but then saw your post. I guess it isn't just in trading I need to exercise more discipline. I'm wasting way too much time on here. Good trading, Jack.
I just finished shopping for appliances, and even the best reviewed ones, when I went on message boards, I'd find person and person having problems with it. Really frustrating trying to decide given that! But people without problems aren't as likely to be out on message boards posting.

Uhhhh ... this ain't about appliances amigo.

I first came here in looking for feedback prior to signing up.

And you, along with everyone else who's read the topic/thread, got some feedback ... as I mentioned before, enough to make most folks break out in hives and run for the hills.

I'm wasting way too much time on here. Good trading, Jack.

Well dawg, you asked for feedback, got plenty of it from multiple sources along with links to additional sources. And here you've been posting lengthy soft-sales essays all along the way. And, as you said, you signed up ... and become a Jerryphile. At this point I might concur with these last two sentences from your above post.

Good luck in Jerryland ... and with your trading!

Peace,

The Funky Monkey
Jack..dude

It sounds like you're really trying to convince yourself that you made the right decision with ATW. Much like a trader who tries to convince himself to stay in a losing trade, he finds every reason to rationalize why the trade will turn around and go in his favor.

If you are here looking for confirmation from others that you've made the right choice in them, sorry I can't be of much help there as I don't know them that well. I did attend a webinar that must have been given by Kermit the Frog that MM speaks of and they outlined a triple divergence setup which I was already aware of and had been using for many years. So I can say that that is a high probability setup. What its worth? I don't know and I didn't look into what they're charging for it.

My suggestion would be to take a break from them, then re-evaluate and if you still feel that good about them rejoin.

Keep in mind that the big question is are you learning to trade towards the end of becoming your own trader, capable and competent without them or help from anyone else?

Please excuse the "dude" thing. After reading MM's posts his lingo has rubbed off on me. lol
I have been a member of the ATW Mentorship program for almost a year. In my opinion, it is the most comprehensive trading education program available. There is an immense amount of material to master - several hundred videos about 2 hours each in the archives alone. But, once one has gotten the basics understood, making money consistently is very achievable. It took me about 8 months. I know members who got there faster, and I know members who took a year to get there. The program is now being improved to accelerate profitability. The key is the effort the trader puts into the program. If you go in expecting to be spoon fed and have the holy grail handed to you, then you'll surely be disappointed. If however, you go into the program expecting to work at it like you would earning a masters degree, then you will be very satisfied.
And there's a couple of updated "reviews" of the program since I last posted this site at the end of March. Man oh man, a bunch of unhappy campers getting bent over in Jerryland still.

I especially subscribe to the sentiment of a poster who wrote: "DEMAND you see last years statements from both Jerry and Andy and see how much money they made trading. You will get excuses up the gazoo. You see, they can’t. The only way they made money, and they make allot, is from gullible people like you and me."

http://traderopinions.com/indicators/advanced-trading-workshop-aka/

I and others on mypivots have encouraged this as an absolute prerequisite before signing onto any service ... the trading statements, that is. And don't take any B.S. excuses; DEMAND 'em. If ya don't agree with this sentiment, then I've got some land I want to sell you ... oh, and I promise I own it even though I can't show you the deed and won't allow a title search to make sure it's unencumbered ... trust me ... I wouldn't lie to you ... I just want your money; I'm VENDORMAN!

This message brought to you by ATM - Advanced Trading Monkey Productions Inc.
I thought this outfit was so traders. I have visited Advanced Trading Workshop's website. Good company in a good industry. According to Reuters and some of the other business press releases,the acquisition is strategic and meant to broaden Clear Harbors offerings.
Originally posted by jedc53

I thought this outfit was so traders.I have visited Advanced Trading Workshop's website.Good company in a good industry.According to Reuters and some of the other business press releases,the acquisition is strategic and meant to broaden Clear Harbors offerings.

This outfit IS so traders! Gosh darnit!

And someone "acquired" Satan-spawn and Kermit the frog? Wonders never cease!
Before I get flamed on being a new member : I just registered especially to provide my viewpoint on ATW.

I am a student of ATW since April 2009, known as "Dom" in the trading rooms. I originally signed for the 101A course (taught by Andy Carlsen), very specifically to learn VSA ("Volume Spread Analysis"), which Andy truly masters and is very capable indeed of successfully teaching. And, VSA really makes a lot of difference in reading price action and deciding on which setups to take or pass. I do not trade any of Andy's systems, nor do I trade any other indicator-based system, because I do not trust indicators in the 1st place. This is just me, and not a criticism to anyone - peace.

A few weeks after joining 101A, and making good progress on my trading using VSA, I decided to take Jerry's mentorship program, figuring that I was still missing a number of pieces of the puzzle ... that was the best move I ever made. Jerry's teaching is nothing short of incredible, he has so much to offer ! I have studied using the video archive library for about 6 month at the pace of 4 to 6h a day (and of course I attended Jerry's live training session twice a week), and I am today a totally different trader. Now, I truly understand price action, and I am trading using concepts and techniques that I trust deep into my guts ... that makes a ton of difference. Sure, this program is hard work (and a lot of it), but IMO it is a PhD in trading, nothing less.

Good trading to all,
Dominique
I've been with the ATW program for several months now and I think their program is legit and educational. Their very large amount of videos is very informative, one of the better programs I've tried so far.
How many "programs" have you tried and which ones were they? Also, how much money have you spent collectively on those programs as well as this one?

Originally posted by rogertr

I've been with the ATW program for several months now and I think their program is legit and educational. Their very large amount of videos is very informative, one of the better programs I've tried so far.
I have spent some time with ATW. I agree Andy is quite a sales man but if you get hood winked into buying somthing you should look at your self for being a sucker as much as the guy who is doing the sucking. They give a 30 day free trial take the free trial and pass at the rest. I personally believe that Jerry is telling the truth in whatever he states. I am not saying his level of accuracey is 100% but I have found him to be fairly correct on most occassions.

The big thing that I noticed was the level of greed involved in the trading. There is a lot of flashing lights and bells and sounds that would want to get you into a trade before you knew what happened. Bad move for over trading. The indicator packages are a bit overpriced for what they are and the instructions on how to use them don't seem to exist. But you have to think about this if an indicator existed that made millions it has been flogged to death on it's first outing. I personally spent over $5000 and have no regrets. I found Jerry's level of accuracey and honesty to be of a high standard. Andy is a salesman and my credit card is still getting over the trauma.

In my opinion the biggest problem is the amount of money that you start trading with. The guys encourage $10,000 per futures contract which is the correct amount. That means you are starting out with a $30,000 acc as a begginner. You are dreaming if you think you can get through your trading career without blowing up your acc. Livermore went broke how many times. Gann just got sick of losing and stopped trading, then went and got an education. If you truly are a begginner then start small. You may only be making $30 or $40 dollars a day and you will only be losing $30 or $40 a day. When your consisitencey gets up there your account will grow and when you get out of bed one day and find your account has had no draw downs in 3 months then start adding extra funds.

I personally have taken a liking to Jerrys Edge Trading system. I took the methodology Jerry has taught and have been trading it for over 6 months. I can say for sure we have more up days then down but how it goes into the future is anybodies guess. I don't trade a black box or indicator system blindly so I get better tyhen the system. If you don't take the time to check out ATW you could be doing your self out of a good education. My trading account has done nothing but grow since I got into the ATW. I had a high level of experience before but getting the help to automate my trading has made my life so much easier. I don't get flogged like the good old days. The Edge signals the trades and I add to the position or cancel it out. i had built a very similar system before going to the ATW but Jerrys level of programming experience really paid off.

To summerize watch your credit card but don't be ignorant, these guys have some good education and trading techniques. Just don't be a mug. Pay your money and demand the service. Get onto Andy at the begining and make him work for his money.

Raef Mackay.
Australia.