Inital Balance

What is the time period of the inital balance of the e-minis? I have read most markets it is the first hour.
Thanks
O
quote:
Originally posted by cotpt

What is the time period of the inital balance of the e-minis? I have read most markets it is the first hour.
Thanks
O

you can actually set it to whatever you like, but, yes, for most markets it's the first two 1/2 hour segments that make up the IB. so for the indices it would be from 9:30am-10:30am eastern.

i used to include the 1/2 hour prior to RTH trading, so my IB was from 9am - 10:30am eastern. i've also seen some people build IBs with the following:

1. afterhours from Day 1
2. pre-market from Day 2
3. first two 1/2 segments from Day 2

hth

take care -

omni
quote:
Originally posted by cotpt

Thanks
O

I echo omni's comments. For Emini's 09:30 to 10:30 ET.

Unlike omni, I haven't heard of anybody using those other times to create the initial balance.

If you want to experiment with the initial balance and eyeball what might work for your market you should set up an indicator that allows you to vary the IB and then look at a larger timescale bar chart (say 30 or 60 minutes) and then vary the IB start and end times and see if something else might look like it is working and then further investigate that time frame.

Hope that helps.