ES short term trading 8-6-10

not too impressive...all that waiting for that

14.75 will be the number I'm watching , then the 1108 -1110 zone....waiting for day session

Hey MM...what is your plan...? do u exit at RTH open or wait
Fascinating take from Dr. B on ranges. Its from 2005 so I wonder if things are the same in today's environment?

http://traderfeed.blogspot.com/2005/12/narrow-trading-range-periods.html

Narrow Trading Range Periods

My upcoming Trading Markets article will examine narrow trading ranges over a 20-day period, going back to 1990. I was inspired to take this look after receiving a number of emails from readers suggesting that we were headed for a major (upside) breakout move due to the extended narrow range that we've been in.

So my question was: Do narrow, rangebound markets lead to future price volatility and a directional edge in prices?

The gist of my findings was that low volatility 20-day periods in the S&P 500 Index tend to be followed by below-average volatility 20-day periods and high volatility periods tend to be followed by above-average volatility. Interestingly, the recent 20-day period is one of the lowest volatility periods we've seen since the early-to-mid 1990's--in fact, it's in the lowest 1% of all 20-day periods in my sample.

Compared to high volatility 20-day periods, low volatility ones were just as likely to be up vs. down over the next 20 days, but the average sizes of gains are greater following high volatility periods.

In short, historical analysis does not support the idea that narrow, low volatility markets lead to high volatility breakouts or that there is a distinct price direction edge associated with extended low volatility. My website does mention reasons for concern regarding weakness in the current intermediate-term picture, but this is a consideration specific to this market. History is not on the side of those who expect large, extended directional moves to emerge from low volatility markets.
don'tthink that was me....
Originally posted by Lorn

Hey Bruce,

I just got a copy of that Suri book on patterns you recommended.

Stellar stuff...thanks for the tip.

Originally posted by BruceM

that 1116 is low too and your chart shows that well Lorn...same at the 1110

Oh, well who ever it was, thanks very much!

don'tthink that was me....
Originally posted by Lorn

Hey Bruce,

I just got a copy of that Suri book on patterns you recommended.

Stellar stuff...thanks for the tip.

that 1116 is low too and your chart shows that well Lorn...same at the 1110

This v. similar to last payroll day, 2 July. Market screaming higher into close, buying peaked at 15.48. Sorry I do not have the chart yet as do all my trading on a different computer.
Lorn,
RE Suri's book, some can say today's spike Low was Adam, then afternoon belly was Eve formations of Adam & Eve pattern.

IMHO, Suri's choices of examples of Adam & Eve (pages 192-194) are not very good.

Adam & Eve happens enough that it is worth knowing.

This site has better representation.

http://thepatternsite.com/aedb.html

Adam is spike (I do not mean to offend anyone here, but it is true), Adam represents phallus, Eve represents pregnant woman's belly.
Cheers Paul.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Originally posted by PAUL9

Lorn,
RE Suri's book, some can say today's spike Low was Adam, then afternoon belly was Eve formations of Adam & Eve pattern.

IMHO, Suri's choices of examples of Adam & Eve (pages 192-194) are not very good.

Adam & Eve happens enough that it is worth knowing.

This site has better representation.

http://thepatternsite.com/aedb.html

Adam is spike (I do not mean to offend anyone here, but it is true), Adam represents phallus, Eve represents pregnant woman's belly.
I took that last loss at 16.25...it's one thing having losses, it's another having them on Friday...and many times posting trades makes the losses seem worse but they are what they are........

always something to learn the hints where there down when POC flipped...just didn't respond well...at least we have some good numbers from today