Definition of 'Business Inventories'
The purpose of this report is to provide a broad and timely measures of combined changes in domestic retail trade, wholesale trade and manufacturers' activities.
The estimates in this report are based on data from three surveys:
- The Monthly Retail Trade Survey
- The Monthly Wholesale Trade Survey
- The Manufacturers' Shipments, Inventories, and Orders Survey
- Monthly Retail Trade: Companies with one or more establishments that sell merchandise and related services to final consumers.
- Monthly Wholesale Trade: Companies with employment that are primarily engaged in merchant wholesale trade in the U.S. These include merchant wholesalers that take title to the goods they sell, and jobbers, industrial distributors, exporters, and importers. Excluded are non-merchant wholesalers such as manufacturers sales branches and offices; agents, merchandise or commodity brokers, and commission merchants; and other businesses whose primary activity is other than wholesale trade.
- Manufacturers: Companies that have employees and are classified in Manufacturing. Participating companies include most with 1,000 or more employees and a sample of smaller companies; changes in their performance are assumed to represent all employers.
Do you have a trading or investing definition for our dictionary? Click the Create Definition link to add your own definition. You will earn 150 bonus reputation points for each definition that is accepted.
Is this definition wrong? Let us know by posting to the forum and we will correct it.