Copyright and proprietary trading systems

I've just had an interesting email exchange with the owner of Day Trade To Win (John Paul) about the Day Trade To Win topic on this forum.

He states that copyright material is being posted in that topic. I consulted with two attorneys and they both agree with me that this is not happening.

A summary of what has happened:
  • Day Trade To Win post several videos on YouTube showing their trading system in action.

• A trader comes along and watches a video and says "it's obvious what they are doing, they are using method XYZ" and states such on this forum.

• The vendor then says, you can't post that, it's copyrighted.

What are your comments and thoughts on this?

I would agree that its not a copyright issue. Its like back in school where you had to do an essay on a chapter in a copyrighted book "in your own words" and you and the author both came to the same conclusion. although I never did the research, leg work etc, All I did was take the copyrighted info and put them in my own words or in this case a trader has put the copyrighted system together in their own words, as long as he/she didn't copy the info straight from his system I would not worry about it. I would suggest if John Paul doesn't like that he should stop giving too much info away, where others can figure out what he is doing.
Hmmmm...I didn't know giving a word of caution to fellow forum members about a pay for service was considered a copyright violation (tongue in cheek)!

If that's the case I'm guilty many times over.
He is blowing hot air. Let him keep doing so; another vendor alerted to a good forum that speaks it's mind.

Good riddance to him.

researcher247
thanks to John Paul for bringing attention to how his system works?
quote:
Originally posted by day trading

I've just had an interesting email exchange with the owner of Day Trade To Win (John Paul) about the Day Trade To Win topic on this forum.

In situations like this one, where a vendors starts to cry about such matters, my personal opinion means nothing. If the lawyers say there is no infringement, that's good enough for me.

quote:
Originally posted by day trading

He states that copyright material is being posted in that topic. I consulted with two attorneys and they both agree with me that this is not happening.

A summary of what has happened:
  • Day Trade To Win post several videos on YouTube showing their trading system in action.

• A trader comes along and watches a video and says "it's obvious what they are doing, they are using method XYZ" and states such on this forum.

• The vendor then says, you can't post that, it's copyrighted.

Let's see ... using the morning high or low of X minutes for trading is and has been written about in many books (and on who knows how many websites). Both breakout trades as well as using those levels to fade as S/R. Hourly, 30 min and 15 min high/low's have been well publicised. How to handle the exit always varies. Even this J.P. fellow varies exits in his free promotional videos posted on different sites out there including YouTube.

If someone comments here (or anywhere) on a video that they've seen of his that it's apparent he's using 20 mins as his input for this common setup, there is no copyright infringement, nothing illegal taking place ... not even veering into the gray zone. This stuff's been in the public domain since J.P. was in diapers and likely before he was even a zygote.

I tend to use the 20 minute and 37 second high/low range personally. I'm revealing my secret to you for the first time ... and just to the select few here. I've made millions with it (on paper, back testing and re-optimizing). This offer is extremely limited and only available for the next 90 seconds. Sign up and gimme half a grand of your cash before this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity is gone!

But if you discuss this any further I'll sue this site, it's owner, all posters since its inception, my next door neighbor, the milkman and everyone in their families going 3 generations back. Oh yeah, Happy Trading!

Your Favorite Vendor/Hawker/Salesman,

I. Cheatum and Howe

Click image for original size
No Description Entered
MonkeyMeat did you get my check?
I bought his system and as far as I can see it has not been revealed. So far I have paid for the system and much more by using his method( I do put my own twist on it though).
quote:
Originally posted by myptofvu

MonkeyMeat did you get my check?

Nope myptofvu ... but I'll be perched in front of my mailbox salivating as I eagerly await its arrival. And for a limited time, I'm including my newly released pamphlet detailing a never before revealed strategy for trading the markets when they're closed. Be on the lookout for it and thanks for your kind monetary patronage