Music and Trading

I was wondering if anyone listens to music while they trade? I sit around in my office for about seven hours each day and it can get awfully boring looking for trade setups.
I use to quite often but these days the voices in my head and the sound of my children going crazy on the other side of my office door provide plenty of static...it would be an interesting study to compare trading styles with the music one listens to while trading.

Do you listen to music Split? While trading?
Originally posted by BruceM

I use to quite often but these days the voices in my head and the sound of my children going crazy on the other side of my office door provide plenty of static...it would be an interesting study to compare trading styles with the music one listens to while trading.

Do you listen to music Split? While trading?

I used to listen to Rage Against the Machine when walking from the train station to the trading floor but I soon learned that was a dangerous road to be walking down. I would get fired up and start over trading and expecting big moves, all the while killing myself in the process. It didn't take much more than a month for me to realize what was happening. I then began to listen to more mellow music and I believe it really helped pass the time when things were slow and I was able to stay focused. However I have gotten away from listening to music while trading as of late but am developing a growing interest in *potentially listening to techno. I am not a techno junkie by any means but it is very energetic music and I seem to get into a fixated zone while listening to it. For the rest of the week I will try it and see how it goes. I'll keep you updated.
Requiem of a dream on my playlist makes me want to short the YM... lol. I guess because I used to listen to it a lot in sept-oct 08.
I hear ya bruce. Do your kids trade yet? My 15month old has made 2 losing trades(clicking the mouse when I am holding her and not knowing it till later). And my eldest who is almost 3 is real keen on telling me if its going up or down via the charts. No joke she can spot trends better than most newbies...like the 1hr Euro today started in the upper left and ended in the lower right she calls that bouncin' down, open/close in the middle is what she calls bouncin'
I know im strange but i listen to music most of the time ! Yesterday , Mariah Carey, O holy night , over and over. Today could be the Stones ,or if im really stressed, Mozart! I find it helps my trading, because i can relax and focus better! I think newer traders would find it distracting ,but it really ,as i say , helps me focus .
That is remarkable what Trader Joe said as my daughter did precisely the same thing and jammed my keyboard when I was trading stocks....actually have a photo of that eventful day!!

I use www.last.fm on a separate notebook ...it has every variety of music you may want to hear and you can build your own library...good stuff..including Pink Floyd

pink
Todays prefered jam! LOL...

My 8 year old took a few trades this summer with me lurking over his shoulder and the kids are great at seeing if the trend is up or down ..perhaps over the Xmas holiday I'll give them some screen time.......

Thanks for the Music links Kool and Pink........
Originally posted by CharterJoe

I hear ya bruce. Do your kids trade yet? My 15month old has made 2 losing trades(clicking the mouse when I am holding her and not knowing it till later). And my eldest who is almost 3 is real keen on telling me if its going up or down via the charts. No joke she can spot trends better than most newbies...like the 1hr Euro today started in the upper left and ended in the lower right she calls that bouncin' down, open/close in the middle is what she calls bouncin'
Originally posted by spliton

I was wondering if anyone listens to music while they trade? I sit around in my office for about seven hours each day and it can get awfully boring looking for trade setups.

Spliton, I listen to music all the time when I am trading! I have even started to listen to books on CD