Permanent Residence

Hi. I am looking at the complexities of obtaining a permanent residence in the US. I am currently a Canadian citizen with all my taxes, including those from trading, going to the Canadian government.

If I obtain permanent residency in the US, I would still be a Canadian citizen right? So then if I were to trade from the US, would I pay my taxes to the Canadian government or American government?

Also, if I wanted to purchase a house in the US, do I need American citizenship or would permanent residence be sufficient?

Is it relatively easy for a Canadian citizen to obtain a permanent residency in the US?

Where do I find out information about these things because I have a million questions?
This is probably the best place to ask those questions: http://forums.immigration.com/

Here is the specific part of that forum that deals with Canadians: http://forums.immigration.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50
Well after spending a couple of hours on that site, I haven't really learned anything new from what I already knew, namely that I can stay for 6 months at a time pretty easily.

Do i need to pay a lawyer for this shiznit? I tried to learn all the stupid I-72 and H-28 blah blah symbols numbers and I have no idea which one is which...I just don't get it.

I want to move to the US someday, live there, and trade from there but I don't care for a US citizenship so I guess a Green Card would suffice....So is it going to be a pain in the ass for me to do that?
Well. Thanks to the one person, day trading, for help.

I found my answer. I guess money does pretty much solve all problems. Since I don't plan on marrying some dumb American skank for a Green Card, and I'm too lazy to finish my degree, I'm going to have to choose the investor's route and invest $500,000 - $1000000 in a US company.

Now I just need to make that money first...
Feng,

1. permanent residency change from Canada requires proving that you have left including closing all Cdn bank ac, mailing addresses etc.
2. Tax is paid on the country of permanent residency - not citizenship.
3. All of your questions are answered in the book - "Take your money and run" - written by a Cdn. Also read "Off-shore tax shelters" - take a trip to your library.

4. You need to do a lot more research if you are going to make such a big decision and certainly if you only are doing it to reduce taxes, there are better ways.
5. Going to the US is a big decision - many informed Americans are leaving the US. You should be aware of the enormous cultural difference. (e.g. The war of terror on the US citizens by their gov't through media and removal of civil rights with Patronizing Act.) Watch those videos I gave links to - they weren;t there for nothing.

Originally posted by feng456

Hi. I am looking at the complexities of obtaining a permanent residence in the US. I am currently a Canadian citizen with all my taxes, including those from trading, going to the Canadian government.

If I obtain permanent residency in the US, I would still be a Canadian citizen right? So then if I were to trade from the US, would I pay my taxes to the Canadian government or American government?

Also, if I wanted to purchase a house in the US, do I need American citizenship or would permanent residence be sufficient?

Is it relatively easy for a Canadian citizen to obtain a permanent residency in the US?

Where do I find out information about these things because I have a million questions?
Thank you for your post.

As I understand it, I can currently visit for up to 6 months a year to the US using my Canadian passport. My eventual goal though is to move to a place nice and warm one day without the freezing 6 months winters of Canada, i.e. Florida, without having to spend thousands of dollars on flights every single year and having two places of residence with one in Canada and another in the US just for that. Also, you can't really do that if you want to settle down and have a family.

I am also very aware of all the idiocies in the American political system.
Originally posted by feng456

Thank you for your post.

As I understand it, I can currently visit for up to 6 months a year to the US using my Canadian passport.

Yes. More than 6 months and you risk losing your health coverage.
ive used my health insurance like 3 times in my whole life...it's really only useful if u get sick or hurt a lot. not a big deal for me.