No question to dumb, eh? I'll take you up on that.

I've never gotten past the account registration for a trading account. (eg. e-trade) I look at the pages of small print and wonder "what am I getting into"?
Been hooked on studying stock prices, etc... for quite a while. I'd like to try my hand at trading.
Where do I go from here?

Thanks!
Have you tried paper trading yet? i.e. simulated trading without using real money?
No. I have not. Where would I do that?
I know i'm really taking advantage of the "no question too dumb" forum description. So Thanks for your time.
You could keep a journal or open an account with a broker that has a simulator.
Originally posted by seeker

No. I have not. Where would I do that?
I know i'm really taking advantage of the "no question too dumb" forum description. So Thanks for your time.

You could get one from optionsxpress the reason I say this is because you will prob find them better than something like an etrade and there is no time limit on the demo account like you will find with Futures demo accts...you could also look into IB (International Brokers) but never used them myself so dont know what the offer as far as demos go.

Just so ya know this forum deals with Futures trading not so much about stocks so if you chose to trade stocks you should look for a forum that deals in that. Or you could stick around here and learn how to trade Futures
Good suggestion of staylor455, keep a journal. If you want public feedback then keep it in the public:
http://www.mypivots.com/board/forum/2/1/trading-journals

As myptofvu suggested, open a demo account with a broker, or just keep a record of the trades that you would have taken in a spreadsheet and see how well you do.
A Trading Simulator or Trading Demo (essentially the same thing) is a great way to start to figure if it is worthwhile filling out the account paperwork to open up an account. The major drawback is that it will never be able to simulate the fear and greed associated with your own hard earned real money.

Here is a link to a free futures trading simulator
http://www.tradingsimulator.net/

PS if you ever need to know what all that fine print essentially means feel free to post in the forum and many of us who have accounts will be glad to tell you what it basically means
This is a perfect business, it lets you quantify your risk before you start each endeavor. It relies on no one. Stick with it, try not to lose too much before you figure things out.