Definition of 'Gentlemen's Agreements'
Gentlemen's agreements are often used in business, where it may be impractical or impossible to draw up a formal contract. For example, two companies may agree to cooperate on a new product development project, without signing a written agreement. They may simply shake hands on the deal, and trust that each party will honor their word.
Gentlemen's agreements can also be used in personal relationships. For example, two friends may agree to help each other out in times of need, without putting it in writing. They may simply trust that each other will be there for them, when they need it most.
There are a few things to keep in mind when entering into a gentleman's agreement. First, it is important to be clear about what you are agreeing to. Make sure that everyone involved understands the terms of the agreement, and that they are all in agreement. Second, it is important to be honest and trustworthy. If you break your word, it will be difficult to build trust in the future. Third, it is important to be flexible. Things may change, and it may be necessary to renegotiate the terms of the agreement.
Gentlemen's agreements can be a useful tool for building trust and cooperation. However, it is important to use them wisely, and to be aware of the risks involved.
Here are some additional tips for entering into a gentleman's agreement:
* Get everything in writing, even if it is just a short note. This will help to avoid any misunderstandings.
* Have a witness to the agreement. This can help to prove that the agreement was made, and that everyone involved agreed to the terms.
* Be specific about the terms of the agreement. What are you agreeing to do? What are the consequences if someone breaks the agreement?
* Set a time limit for the agreement. This will help to ensure that it does not become outdated.
* Review the agreement regularly. Things may change, and it may be necessary to renegotiate the terms.
Gentlemen's agreements can be a valuable tool for building trust and cooperation. However, it is important to use them wisely, and to be aware of the risks involved.
Do you have a trading or investing definition for our dictionary? Click the Create Definition link to add your own definition. You will earn 150 bonus reputation points for each definition that is accepted.
Is this definition wrong? Let us know by posting to the forum and we will correct it.