Mentor Wanted

I have been trading for 2 years. I would like the help of a mentor so that I can be profitable, and know what I am doing. I trade the emini ES contract, but have also traded the YM.

Please let me know if you would be willing to work with me. I am willing to discuss my situation with any serious inquiries.

I have been a member of trading rooms in the past and found them to be of no help. Most just consist of using stochastic or Market Profile to buy when the market is down and sell when it is up. They don’t know how to read trends, and loose whenever one develops.

I have read Dalton’s book Mind Over Markets. I am probably one of the few people who did not find it helpful. Again he basically just wrote about buying low and selling high, and getting clobbered during a trend.

I still don’t know what I am doing. I know enough to be dangerous. I know what doesn’t work. Sometimes I try scalping for a point and sometimes I try holding for the bigger gain. I have not been successful at either approach.

I think my biggest mental block is because I have never seen another trader who made money. The rooms I was a member of were all real good at making excuses, but it was clear to me they made money from the room fees and didn’t know anymore about trading profitably than I did.

Again, please let me know if you would be willing to work with me. I am willing to discuss my situation with any serious inquiries. I am not going to give up (though I have been close to doing so a number of times), but I am not ashamed to admit I need help.

Thank you.
Thanks to all who replied.

I agree with TI Anon. Mentors mean different things to different folks. And for many it is probably hard to find a fit.

All of what is available about amateur trading from the home pc is available in public forums like this one.

And some learn better on their own.

Thanks again.
quote:
Originally posted by TI Anon

Greg,

I can tell you from my personal experience that every time I have mentored someone I've been betrayed(betrayed is too strong a word but it has always come back to bite me in the proverbial rear). So, I have come to the realization that anyone that is mentoring traders is not providing them with successful and unique strategies....just , the same stuff you can get from anyone of number books which you have probably have already read.

Just because you failed as a mentor doesn't mean all mentors are the same and not providing value. You have essentially said that you oferred nothing different than anyone else and therefore came to the conclusion all mentors are useless.

Topgun claimed here you wrote to him the following: "I understand your point regarding edge dilution. However, there are more concerns than just that....1. being certain a confidentiality agreement is honored...2. the time and effort needed to teach someone.....3. the cost- I doubt seriously if you would be willing to pay what I would need to get to make it worth my while and even if you were, you might be upset with the value received. An edge can be harmed by more than just the entry- there is the time taken a way from trading, there is the attitude of the trader diverted from concentration and the responsibilty that can weigh on one's mind when concerned for a student's progress and assimilation of the material.

As I have stated in the past, I don't need aggrevation in my life. The thought of a "news" type service seemed to be the way to go, hence the test. I thank you for your participation in that effort."

You're writings are conflicting.
quote:
Originally posted by Greg

All of what is available about amateur trading from the home pc is available in public forums like this one.

Perhaps that is why 95% of all traders lose. They search the Internet for something that is created by amateurs and marketed by amateurs for amateurs, not professionals.

Greg, if you're only challenge is learning a consistently profitable trading method, there is hope, so don't give up. But don't expect to find it on Internet Google ads or trading forums.

My Dear Montecristo,

Point 1 of my missive to Top Gun reiterates my point to Greg (no conflict there). My second point to Greg is that if other mentors, who have unique and successful methods, have also been been betrayed then they will also stop mentoring as the only way to truly protect their edge. Leaving only those mentors with common and reiterated trading methods and principles; as the only ones willing to train.
I realize, I left out the entire thought process on that last point but I was confident Greg would understand my point(reading his last comment I think he did). After all, he was the only one my comment intended to help.
If you need help, I think you would be better served in asking for it; instead of attacking some one else, who was only trying to offer his thoughts and experiences to a sincere request.
quote:
Originally posted by TI Anon

My Dear Montecristo,

Point 1 of my missive to Top Gun reiterates my point to Greg (no conflict there). My second point to Greg is that if other mentors, who have unique and successful methods, have also been been betrayed then they will also stop mentoring as the only way to truly protect their edge. Leaving only those mentors with common and reiterated trading methods and principles; as the only ones willing to train.
I realize, I left out the entire thought process on that last point but I was confident Greg would understand my point(reading his last comment I think he did). After all, he was the only one my comment intended to help.
If you need help, I think you would be better served in asking for it; instead of attacking some one else, who was only trying to offer his thoughts and experiences to a sincere request.

I can't think of any serious reply to your post but, YA BA DA BA DOO.
My point exactly...Thank you
Greg I commend you for sticking with this for 2 years. I am sure looking back it feels like 2 lifetimes.

It has been my experience that new traders tend to want or need immediate results. Each individual seeking help comes to the table with a set of internal expectations. Things like "make me profitable" and "no more losses"...ect

What new traders do not yet understand is, their trading performance is simply a reflection of their experience, temperament and capacity. For traders, the market tends act as a mirror reflecting your character back to you. As they say: "the market is the best teacher". A good friend of mine who has mentored student traders has often said to me: "why do they do the same thing everyday and expect a different outcome?" The simple answer is: they are not listening to the feedback the market is giving them (losses) and adapting their behavior to reality. Until the student is willing to change or adapt, the outcome will remain constant.

A good mentor will identify the underlying issues the struggling or new trader is having, and then formulate a strategy or trading method that will fit the individual student trader. The mentor will not attempt to impose their trading style onto the student. Doing so is likely to end in failure most of the time (I say most because there are a few exceptions). This seems the path Greg has followed so far, and thus it is not a big surprise to hear his experiences. Each trader needs a style that fit's their individual characteristics, the mentor can help guide the discovery process in a timely, effective and safe way. Clearly this process takes time and skill on the part of the mentor. But at the same time responsibility is shared by the student showing patience and a willingness to move forward on a path of self discovery and enlightenment. Some traders are either unwilling or unable to follow this path. Is this the fault of the mentor ?
Try DT Charts. The mentor Lavender (formerly with Kwik-Pop) gives calls all day long and there are people in that room that don't even know how to trade they just go blindly with her calls and make money. How do I know? I know someone that doesn't know how to trade that is in that room and actually makes money. Why am I not in that room? Because it is $400/month and my personality hates vapid chatter for the sake of just talking and I can't handle it, although if my buddy keeps making money I am going to have to bite the bullet and join.
Hi Grey,

I have been trading for 1 1/2 year now. I was in similar situation as you are now. I spend time learning by taking various courses on Emini Trading. I also went through Coaching where the coach was able to use the Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) techniques to break my mental blocks (www.robindayne.com) and help me step by step to change my identity. Today I have a solid Trading Plan and I stick to it and take all the valid trades as I see them. After learning various trading techniques I designed a system that fits my personality and I can trade with ease.

My suggestion to you is to find out what your personality is and try to trade according. for eg. find out if your personality may be good as scalper or intraday swing trader where you hold the position for several hours, if the market is moving in your direction. You may also want to check your stop loss. If you having too close of a stop loss and the market takes you out that is something you may want to change.

I am willing to help from what I know. I am also a student of market and trying to reach my goal of being a successful trader.

Attach find the chart of my system.

Best,
Henry

Market Profile Nos. link
http://www.mypivots.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3681
Woodies Pivots link
http://www.mypivots.com/dn/?symbol=139

Click image for original size
No Description Entered

Chart from Jan 6, 2009
I have been following this guy name Alex on puretick. I dont know if this guy is for real or not, but I understand what a system is all about and have profited from his calls. Now there are nay sayers on Elite Trader about him so I dont know if he is for real or not. I have given him about 4 months at $295 bucks
Interesting post H. Would you mind sharing some details regarding your trading approach?

quote:
Originally posted by hiteshshah1

Hi Grey,

I have been trading for 1 1/2 year now. I was in similar situation as you are now. I spend time learning by taking various courses on Emini Trading. I also went through Coaching where the coach was able to use the Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) techniques to break my mental blocks (www.robindayne.com) and help me step by step to change my identity. Today I have a solid Trading Plan and I stick to it and take all the valid trades as I see them. After learning various trading techniques I designed a system that fits my personality and I can trade with ease.

My suggestion to you is to find out what your personality is and try to trade according. for eg. find out if your personality may be good as scalper or intraday swing trader where you hold the position for several hours, if the market is moving in your direction. You may also want to check your stop loss. If you having too close of a stop loss and the market takes you out that is something you may want to change.

I am willing to help from what I know. I am also a student of market and trying to reach my goal of being a successful trader.

Attach find the chart of my system.

Best,
Henry

Market Profile Nos. link
http://www.mypivots.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3681
Woodies Pivots link
http://www.mypivots.com/dn/?symbol=139

No Description Entered

Chart from Jan 6, 2009