Steidlmayer, Jones and Dalton questions??

I think most would agree that these three have been the most influencial in spreading Market profile and it's concepts out to the masses but I was wondering which ones manage money and have track records etc.....

I'm curious how ther long term records of perfomance have done..

any help in getting the answers would be appreciated...I never really hear much mentioned on that....obviously this would bring up the age old question of "why teach if you can trade so well" but I'm not interested in having that particular discussion in this thread....

I merely want to know if they trade, manage money and how well have they done over time.

What inspired me to ask this is that I was looking at the cost of the DLC training at $2500 and it seems dirt cheap to be trained by one of the "masters"/...wouldn't there be fund managers willing to pay tons more for specific knowledge.......this is just an example and I'm not singleing them out...no offense Omni...

Bruce
After several years trading MP, I have done quite a bit of research on most of the MP teachers. Havn't participated in any forums before -- but heard about this one and decided to look at it since it focused on the MP. Re Dalton, from what I have come learn thru my experience is that he's the best when it comes to teaching the MP. His two books seem to be the "bibles" for MP trading. I have read both books several times and wanted to learn more from this guy. I'm enrolled in the CL/CES course (which I agree, is dirt cheap for what I am learning, but cheaper than the advanced class at 10k). He discusses the current market and where and why he takes trades and has no problem taking any questions. It is clear that he is an active trader (S&P/Bonds).

From attending his webinars where he has, on occasion talked about his trades, I have no doubt he's a very profitable trader. In fact, in his 1st 2 weekly updates this month, he wrote up and tracked a swing trade he did on the S&P that caught the majority of the last down move BEFORE it happened. I not only read about what he was doing and then followed his analysis thru both of the updates but also watched him recap it on a webinar last week.

Hello mptrader,

I have read both Daltons book, together with a couple of Steidlmayer and Tom Alexander, and I agree with you that Daltons books stands out.
Where do you find the course given my Dalton and is any of the webinars publicly available?

I have just started trading with Market Profile and together with MarketDelta (software) I can almost fit all the pieces together :).
quote:
Originally posted by BruceM

I think most would agree that these three have been the most influencial in spreading Market profile and it's concepts out to the masses but I was wondering which ones manage money and have track records etc.....

I'm curious how ther long term records of perfomance have done..

any help in getting the answers would be appreciated...I never really hear much mentioned on that....obviously this would bring up the age old question of "why teach if you can trade so well" but I'm not interested in having that particular discussion in this thread....

I merely want to know if they trade, manage money and how well have they done over time.

What inspired me to ask this is that I was looking at the cost of the DLC training at $2500 and it seems dirt cheap to be trained by one of the "masters"/...wouldn't there be fund managers willing to pay tons more for specific knowledge.......this is just an example and I'm not singleing them out...no offense Omni...

Bruce

Hi Bruce -

first, none taken

second, i haven't seen Jim's (or anyone else's) audited track record. like mptrader, I have seen Jim discuss his trades beforehand, during (updated), and after he closed the trade. His contact info is freely available on the DLC site. shoot him an email and see if he provides that information to the public (or inquisitive
).

as for the cost, i completely agree. it's basically 50 ES points. come on, i've spent much more than that for 'market provided lessons' and often leave with very little to show for it. however, if i recall, i think Tom Alexander also has a course for $2-5k; it's a much shorter course, but i think it may also be 'live'. the CL/CES is a self-directed, self-paced endeavor that can easily take a full 12-months. to me that means this is a very low-maintenance endeavor for Jim and Co. as mptrader indicated, the live Intesnive is $10k.

as to fund managers, keep in mind that DLC teaches a discretionary approach, and even then it's very personalized, very unique for each trader. from this small-lot piker's POV, i would guess it's just too much art and not enough quantifiable, predictible science for those guys. but, then again, i have no idea who DLC's clients are; no reason a fund manager couldn't be a client, i'm guessing.

i know you aren't interested in discussing the "why teach?" adage, so i posted it to its own thread
Hello tlambrechts, happy to see that you are in agreement. The books were a starting point for me as well. I found Dalton's website via google (markets in profile), and subscribed to the free profile bulletin. As a stand alone, it has some great insight -- and it also lists upcoming webinars. At the time, I attended one of the free live webinars before making the decision to subscribe. They don't do the free webinars very often, but I hope they continue them occasionally as they are a great opportunity to listen to Dalton live and make your own decision as to whether or not you want to continue down this road.

Regarding the "why teach" discussion, I have attended several of Dalton's live webinars, and there is no doubt in my mind that HE is the guy that actually wrote the books, has an understanding of the markets and a definite passion for trading that has spanned over 30 years, trades actively every day, and at this point in life just seems to really enjoy trading and teaching what he knows -- to traders that are serious about learning. My opinion.

Mike