Guidelines for Posting

Here are some guidelines that one of the forum members helped me put together. Some of you who have been around for a while are already familiar with them but it doesn't hurt to re-iterate them.
  1. No posting off-topic to a thread's initial topic/question. This is called Thread-Jacking. If you do so, you run the risk of your posts being deleted. If you have something off-topic that you want to say then start a new topic and link to it from the original topic.
  2. No yelling at anyone. Examples are lots of exclamation points ....!!!! and especially if you POST IN ALL CAPS.
  3. No intimidation. The board must stay as a friendly and welcome place to make a post, ask a question or express an investment view without worry of ridicule or angry replies.
  4. If you have nothing nice, positive or helpful to say then just don't post. The golden rule governs here. How would you feel if you were the author and received a reply post like that? Remember there is no one forcing you to reply to everything (other than your own ego). If you don't like the thread - move along.
  5. "Hot" discussions, heated or personal replies are best done via Personal Message. Click on the member's name or avatar and if the member is allowing PM's there will be a link there to send the member a PM.
99.9% of the time this forum runs well and we have quality discussions and a great group of traders gathering here to help each other. Everyday this gets better and better so we must be doing something right.
Thanks for this DT!

I think #4 the golden rule is especially important.

(I hope to see more comments on this thread from others on the board.)

Read a blog post today called "How to lose an argument online" and thought that some of the tips were good.

1. Have an argument. Once you start an argument, not a discussion, you've already lost. Think about it: have you ever changed your mind because someone online started yelling at you? They might get you to shut up, but it's unlikely they've actually changed your opinion.
  2. Forget the pitfalls of Godwin's law. Any time you mention Hitler or even Communist China or Bill O'Reilly, you've lost.
  3. Use faulty analogies. If someone is trying to make a point about, say, health care, try to make an analogy to something conceptually unrelated, like the space shuttle program, and you've lost.
  4. Question motives. The best way to get someone annoyed and then have them ignore you is to bypass any thoughtful discussion of facts and instead question what's in it for the person on the other end. Make assumptions about their motivations and lose their respect.
  5. Act anonymously. What are the chances that heckled comments from the bleachers will have an impact?
  6. Threaten to take action in another venue. Insist that this will come back to haunt the other person. Guarantee you will spread the word or stop purchasing.
  7. Bring up the slippery slope. Actually, the slope isn't that slippery. People don't end up marrying dogs, becoming cannibals or harvesting organs because of changes in organization, technology or law.
  8. Go to the edges. This is a variant of the slippery slope, in which you bring up extremes at either end of whatever spectrum is being discussed.
So, what works?

Earn a reputation. Have a conversation. Ask questions. Describe possible outcomes of a point of view. Make connections. Give the other person the benefit of the doubt. Align objectives then describe a better outcome. Show up. Smile.

Source: http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2009/11/how-to-lose-an-argument-online.html
Good stuff!

I like the one about faulty analogies.

Also, I think that the internet (and email) is a medium that somehow seems to breed misunderstanding. Along this line I would say that
one needs to pause and really think about what the person is saying.

Another idea is to avoid the use of superlatives and absolutes

Superlatives (example)
All people are....
versus
some people are... or
many people are...

Absolutes
There is no way that can be done.
It is impossible..
It has never...
The only way..

Anonymous avatars seem to bring out the worst in people. How many people would be willing to say face-to-face the things that they shout out anonymously in an online forum? Not too many, I don't think.

Isaac
I read the rant .......... 3.My thoughts on HUNTER !!
Wrong forum for that scat.
grednfer posted the chart and made money. Thanks for sharing the strategy.
ETM, ... You, like I, would like consistency in the market. Simple concept, Sell at Monday's open, buy at the close...and buy each Tuesday's open and sell at the close, and alternate to Friday. lol
Thanks DT There is no place for negativity in trading. We do need Monkey Meat's humor tho.
I wholeheartedly agree w/"staylor" above. Him smart!

MM
“nice thing, I like the one about faulty analogies.”
We haven't had bad behavior problems on the forum for a long time. In case it happens again I think that this is a great guideline:
http://blog.discourse.org/2013/03/the-universal-rules-of-civilized-discourse/
I'd agree with you that "There is no place for negativity in trading." Leverages and Pips can be dealt with effectively when we do a thorough research in advance.
And it all depends on your desire to understand everything and analytical reviews from amarket really help