Darvas Boxes

I have always loved Darvas boxes ( if you don't know what they are google it) They work like a charm if the market is trending. Some simple rules I am looking for on a Darvas Boxes is....

1) Trade a break in the direction of the 30 min trend, interpreted via a 10 period EMA.
2) Don't take the first down break if the previous box was a bullish break, and visa versa.
3) Stops are placed at the other end of the box, and moved as the box falls rises or falls.

There are IMHO better than SAR's at placing stops.

Click image for original size
No Description Entered
Thank you Joe..great stuff as usual!
quote:
Originally posted by CharterJoe

For U blue sure. The tan and blue back grounds are easy on my eye's since I have quite a few charts. I have found that after staring at black and white charts all day they make my head hurt.

I know what you mean!
Anywho, I fiddled with the brown one and got it to print
I had to draw in the top line by hand but its fine.
Please cancel request if not too late.

Many thanks and a great thread.
I really enjoy learning new stuff.
I had seen these on TTM free videos I watch late at night when my work is done - takes me all day to do the data collection etc.
In anycase, because the blankety-blanks at IB forced me to switch to a new even flakier version of their .... software I have been forced to get ninja. The Ninja software is a big improvement over IB.

Ninja draws the Darvis boxes with one click - so I'm having fun experimenting.

All the best,

No Description Entered

+7.25 for today, +35.00 for the week.

I traded it today and should be a billionaire by Christmas. Yeah right LOL! It was an exciting think to trade. Keeps me from watching every tick in the Euro's...have a great week end
Joe, Wasnt the first trade a short below 1057? If not then why? Also, can you show a 15 minute chart today and show how you determine it was a bull and bear day? Thanks for all your help.
Also, Why was your first short of the day taken? I thought your not supposed to short the first box coming off a long trade and vise versa? And it looks like a short trade was skipped around 12:48 today, any reason for that? Thanks again
I've had the Nicolas Darvas book sitting on my bookshelf for 20 years. I finally decided to actually read it. What a great book! Just as applicable to day trading as it is to long term investing, as this thread is amply demonstrating.
Does Tradestation have a way to draw the boxes? If not does anyone know of a Darvas Box indicator for tradestation?

Thanks in advance.
quote:
Originally posted by rainman99

Joe, Wasnt the first trade a short below 1057? If not then why? Also, can you show a 15 minute chart today and show how you determine it was a bull and bear day? Thanks for all your help.

I guess I didn't see it was the 9:30 bar...so another 2 point loser to add to Fridays trading. fwiw after I left Friday there was another 2.25 winner. I have not decided to keep trading till close or cut entries it off @ 3:00. I am going to have to see more days to make a choice.

No Description Entered

Here is the 15min you requested...by the RTH session the box already in compassed the entire box before it basically making an engulfing bar.
quote:
Originally posted by rainman99

Also, Why was your first short of the day taken? I thought your not supposed to short the first box coming off a long trade and vise versa? And it looks like a short trade was skipped around 12:48 today, any reason for that? Thanks again

The trade was left off because it was a scratch trade, and I was running out of room.

As for the rules here is what I said.... in post #3

1) on a 15min (24hour) chart I am looking at Darvas boxes. If at any time I have 2 higher highs on the box I look for longs only on the 1 min. If I have 2 lower lows on the 15min I am only taking short set-ups on the 1min.

a.) A long set-up is when I have an okay from the 15min, and when the 1 min goes above the previous high of the last box. The stop is placed at the low of the last box.

quote:
Originally posted by tom mitchell

Does Tradestation have a way to draw the boxes? If not does anyone know of a Darvas Box indicator for tradestation?

Thanks in advance.

I did a little search and I can't find anything for less than $150 bucks.
Joe: are you still using Darvas Boxes? There is a draw tool on Ninja Trader.