Does anyone really make money trading futures?

Does anyone really make money trading futures?

I am just wondering.

I know I don't. I have tried all the indicators and the chat room gurus, and none of them make money.

I have a suspicion that a lot of the chat rooms for emini trading are just for hobbyists and market enthusiasts and not for serious traders trying to make a business out of trading.

For any new traders out there please be very cautious of paying anyone to mentor you or signing up for training or a chat room. From what I have seen the only people making money in these deals is the mentor, the chat room owner or the author of the training manual.

I would love to hear from you if you are a successful trader making 20% off your account or better over the past year. I know only 5 to 10 percent of traders are supposed to be successful, but I am beginning to think that zero percent of traders are successful over the long haul. Certainly anyone can have a streak of luck and rack up a few good months where they dramatically increase their account size, but these people are normally big risk takers and eventually they blow out their accounts by taking the exact same risks that help double their accounts in the first place.

Thanks in advance for any response.
quote:
Originally posted by voodoo1

The typical MO, for this sort of stuff...

Hey Voodoo1... Have you got any real life examples of this happening and taking in so many suckers?

Were you taken in by someone? What's got your dander in such a knot?

Why are you so concerned about everyone else's money? What is your agenda?
quote:
Originally posted by pips2007

NO indicators, no diagrams...no nothing....

Totally discretionary - more ranting about no indicators - no thing ... your biggest down day is ahead of you.

quote:
[i]
Just think. If the guy selling you a course..could make $$$$ no problem...why would he be informing a 2 bit person like YOU and me.

So what are you saying? Anyone charging for courses/trading education are ripoffs? This is an ABSURD statement and cannot be defended. I can list many good educational services where the instructors also trade ... How can you defend a statement like that in the same thread with Jim Kane?

quote:
[i]
...If the guy selling you a course..could make $$$$ no problem...

Right now I am looking to trade for a hedge fund, bank, pension fund, trading firm, Sovereign firm etc.

Why trade for a hedge fund when you can make millions using your own "system"/brain? You're guilty of the same illogic as you accuse the "course purveyors" ... Why do you need the backing of a hedge fund where you will be only getting a small % of your gains? Is it because you don't have a system or faith in your abilities to generate consistent returns in the future?

bakrob99,

Thank you for asking my agenda and it is the following: below is Hunterones quote and I have asked him a few times to prove it via account statements, but all he does is call trades in a voice room, there is a big difference unless you don't understand, then that is another issue. Bakrob99 I say, Hunterone show me one account stmt. from lets say three years ago that shows you trading 21 lots and averaging $267 a contract. Since Hunterone has been trading this size for several years, show us a old stmt. I am not the one making these claims or am I ?

bakrob99, so what if I am trying to help some newbie not get suckered out of his hard earned cash by asking hard questions, is it not a good thing to be doing?

bakrob99, Are you salesperson for Hunterone ?

hunterones own quote from previous page on this thread:
I base this on the fact that I have been trading 21 contracts on the e-mini for several years usually only trade 3 hours a day and avg $267 per contract per day.

ROTFLMAO. Jeez Voodoo who do you think you are. Sure I am going to give you 3 years of partnership records to appease you? You must be smoking some wild stuff!

You may be able to harass teenage girls over the net but do you really think there is a man out there in any profession that cares what someone like you thinks?

Does voodoo have an agenda? Of course he does. He has elected to ignore everything that I have ever posted since none of it supports his delusion. Instead he has invented his own words for me. Anyone that doubts that just has to go back and read the posts.

The only thing that matters is that I stepped up when noone else would and put myself out on the line and called my trades as I was taking them. The fact that these trades were profitable and those that followed them made money is all that matters.

So come one voodoo and everyone else that is critical of me step up like I have. Put yourself out there for everyone to see.

Then if anyone is so impressed by your abilities they want to learn from you teach them for free. Take on the responsibility of making some one successful. And of course give up your profitable trading and teach and support them for Free. Come on step up.
For those that have supported me I say thank you. I hope to see you next week I think it is going to be a fun week for all of us.

I am done with this thread.
Hello again,

Though I was mentally prepared for some of these replies, I have to admit it still amazes me how skeptical some people are.

I believe I was upfront about being associated with hunterone and the reason of not having posted previously. Sure, you have the right to suspect that I have no credibility ... in the end, nothing I say or do will prove that I have no hidden agenda. I was trying to give hunterone support, as he has provided me with his time and expertise.

Yes, I paid for his time and mentorship and no, I did not ask for statements (though I understand vodoo's quest for statements).

Why did I choose to pay? A multitude of reasons but here is just one: hunterone spent years 'perfecting' a methodology that has been successful for him; why shouldn't he ask for compensation for his time and effort both past and present for training and teaching me and his other students?

Again, I understand why some of you are skeptical and wish you great luck in the pursuit of your goals.
I get the impression that hunterone only wants to be compensated to the extent of the money that he loses because he's teaching instead of trading. My personal view is that he shouldn't be doing that. He should be trading during trading hours and not teaching.

I don't think that hunterone is interested in the money from tuition but what he can learn about himself and trading by teaching. I believe that he could achieve all of this by taking a similar approach to many on this forum that post about their trades after the markets have closed - or during the market if they have time and it's a quiet period.

Doing this he will get the best of both worlds. He'll be able to teach and gain the benefits from that while still earning by trading while the markets are open. That way nobody has to pay for his tuition and we can stop this back and forth about whether or not he's a con.

i.e. he can't be a con if he's not asking for tution fees but still teaching his methods.
reese1017: I'm surprise that hunterone charged you at all. I've no idea how much you paid but hunterone clearly doesn't need the money at the rate that he's earning in the market and seems to be pretty decent guy. I'm sure that he'd give it back to you if you asked.
day trading,

Here's what I see happening. Tell me what you think. hunterone takes you up on this and posts some great teaching examples every day. Really nice work showing the what's and how to's of his methodology. And the first response post will read: 'Nice after the fact examples. Now show us something before the fact. Anyone can show charts for what has already happened...' In my opinion, it's almost impossible to teach via forums without more problems than it seems worth. I'm really surprised he stuck around as long as he did. It really makes me feel bad how it always seems to go in forums...
IMHO, if Hunterone is going to let people follow his trades for a whole week and if he makes clear and timely calls of entries and exits...and if his trades are indeed profitable, than that is all one can ask for.
I have never seen anyone, be it vendor or private trader, submit his account statements to complete strangers on internet forums, it's just not going to happen and I also wouldn't expect anyone to do that.
If someone doesn't want to give his profitable trading strategy away for free, then that is completely ok, I probably wouldn't either.
Hunterone,

Sorry I am not delusion and nice try on insulting me with smoking dope or harrassing teenage girls on the the cyberspace. It real shows to your character in taking the high road in a civil conversation...lol

Now Hunterone, if you re-read my post again, you will read that I said show us ONE Stmt. From three years agao, showing that you trade 21 lots and avg. $267 a contract. I didnt say show us three years of stmt'.s But I guess thats what people of your cut of cloth do. Never answer a question straight and re-phradse a stmt and spin the facts...

Well its intresting to see how Hunterone has left this thread in a huff, without any proof, and try to bait me into teaching and trainning, maybe the heat got to hot....

I consistently profit from futures/futures options, but it took me a long time to figure out the best way for me to do so.

While a set of trading rules is very important, I have found that it is just as, maybe even MORE important, to develop "trading callouses" from getting your butt handed to you repeatedly along the way.

Here's the thing: Any set of rules will only work until they don't. It is normal human psychology that there will come a time (again and again) where you deviate from the rules because A) you have had a string of losses, B) you have had a string of wins and now you have a loss and can't believe you're really supposed to "lose this one," C) you get greedy, D) you get scared for whatever reason, or E) any one of a thousand other things that will cause you to screw up.

I had ups and downs for many years until I thought I had it figured out and had a couple of years of really solid profits. I had my own private island picked out :) (not really, but I did have a condo in mind O/N an island). Then came the financial crisis of 2008 and I learned that while I had a generally good strategy, because times were good I had not developed an appropriate risk control system.

Hundreds of thousands of dollars later... (and that didn't take long at all!) I learned the hard way that my strategy was woefully inadequate when the unexpected happened. It took me a while to brush myself off, but eventually I did.

Since sometime in 2009 my cumulative returns are somewhere around 450%. Over the past 9 years I've found that proper risk control continues to be where I tend to fall short, so I've had some choppiness during this time. About two years ago I tightened things up some more to try to make for a smoother equity curve... this mean that, theoretically, my losing months should NOT be as large as in the past, but my winning months will also not be as large as they were in the past.

That's okay though -- even my cumulative success over the past 9-10 years, when averaged out by month, comes to < 2% a month. I suspect that 2% a month, long term, is about where I'll stay, but the ride should just be smoother along the way.

A return like that may or may not be enough for a particular person--it is for me--but keep in mind if you want to shoot for the stars there's a really good chance you're going to eventually crash land back on earth. It really does come down to being adequately capitalized and having a reasonable return be "enough" for you. By all means, trade even with a small account, because you need that experience to get to the point where you'll know what you're doing when you have the larger account. Just don't expect to turn a tiny account into a massive one along the way or you will probably be disappointed.

-PDG